After more than a month, Polwarth is finished.
|neckline detail (brioche!)|
I talked a little about this as a WIP, but I’ll say some of it again here. This was my first time knitting brioche, and I found it easy to understand and the pattern instructions were clear and included links to video and other tutorials.
I did not make any pattern modifications other than to finish the entire body, then pick up the sleeves and knit them two-at-a-time, because that’s the only way my sleeves ever match. The pattern directs you to get to the split, knit one sleeve, rejoin yarn, knit across the body, knit the other sleeve, then rejoin and finish the body. When it came to the underarm stitches I simply cast on the number of stitches I was supposed to pick up from the sleeves. This number’s actually a few more than you’re supposed to cast on when knitting the sleeves first, but lots of people said their arms were a little snug, so I’m just fine with that – it was easy to pick up a few more underarm stitches. I did continue my sleeve decreases until I got the number I was supposed to end with. There’s a large section of “knit x rounds” at the end, so I just subtracted the number of rounds my additional decreases took up and knit the remainder of “x” rounds.
I used Ysolda Blend No. 1 for this project. It’s undyed and lovely and you need it in your life. I used just about 1520 yards. This sweater is knit at a pretty dense gauge – this is a sport weight yarn, and I got gauge with US4 needles, or, one size up from what I would use to knit sport-weight socks (I’m a tight knitter).
I can’t wait until it is cool enough to wear this sweater.