I… think this is a clear base? With a lot of silver/charcoal microglitter, and linear holo. At one coat it’s SUPER sheer, and looks like a clear base with glitter. This is four coats. The holo is very shy and almost never appears (the two photos where it’s obvious are under an LED desk lamp).
This is a Midas Hat, knit in Black Cat Fibers Sirtir, colorway “Electric Avenue”. This is a free pattern on Ravelry. I don’t need another hat (especially since it was 80 freakin degrees this weekend and hello, it’s DECEMBER). I had totally forgotten that I would want something I didn’t have to think about to knit on while we had family over for the holiday, so I cast this on. I knit the brim in some leftover Madelinetosh 80/10/10 fingering in Button Jar Blue.
This was a pretty enjoyable knit. I think technically the contrast inside brim is a pattern modification, but lots of people did this, so I’m not really counting it as a mod. I did knit mine a little bit longer than indicated but that’s pretty much it. Actually, that’s not true – I think I also cast on like nine more stitches, because there’s only one size in the pattern and I was afraid it wouldn’t fit me, even though (as usual) I went up a needle size.
Mina is a blood red jelly with holographic microglitter in it. I think this was a color of the month last year sometime. It was fairly opaque but also very much a jelly – you have to be careful to do consistent coats or the difference will be noticeable. The brush Super Black uses is long and skinny, so you do also need to watch for polish running down the stem.
Y’all. This is Simple Sweater Shrug, which I knit in Ye Olde Caron Simply Soft, because I had it, and why not.
I haven’t washed this yet, because I never knit with acrylic and I’m scared of what it will look like when it’s done, although it clearly needs a blocking. I know I can (and I will) throw this in the washer and the dryer and it’ll be fine, I just haven’t worked up the nerve.
This is smaller than I wanted it to be, but not because I ran out of yarn. The pattern has a wide range of “yarn required”, and it’s not sized. I had (I thought) more than the max amount suggested. When I went to update my project to mark that I’d used a skein, I saw that it took my project up to 350 yards used. “Funny,” says I. “That didn’t feel like 350 yards.” Turns out I was right – Ravelry’s default stash entry for this yarn is 170g/350y, but the skeins I ACTUALLY had are 115g/250y. Oops. So I made the body a little smaller than I wanted, and used up the rest for the sleeves and trim.
I did make one change – in the original pattern you use yarnovers to increase and it makes a pattern. I didn’t want that so I used kfb instead. I still have a pattern, but I have no vent holes 🙂
I haven’t quite decided whether this is an absolute disaster, or exactly what I wanted.
This is the new version of SSN – I don’t own the original and at this point I’m pretty sure I never will. This was a pain to apply – I will definitely be thinning this the next time I wear it. And, since it’s actual not-micro-glitter, it required the acetone soaked cotton ball removal method (I legit thought about using a peel off base under this before I put it on and went “oh, nah, it won’t be that bad.” It was.).
Still, this is really pretty and I definitely recommend picking this one up if it’s still around.
This is Renewal, knit in Blue Heron Egyptian Mercerized Cotton, colorway “Mossy Place”. Renewal is a free pattern, and is knit in the usual way with an applied border.
I ran into two things while knitting this. First, this yarn is classified as “Thread” on Ravelry, and it’s so not. I mean, yeah, it’s technically thread in that it’s plied cotton, but the put-up is 226 g, 1000 yards. That’s more like a light fingering or heavy lace. I had about 250 more yards than the pattern called for, so I did the usual and went up a needle size (and you know because I said that that this didn’t work, right?). Sure enough, I got about 3/4 of the way through the edging and started getting nervous about how much yarn I didn’t have left. I weighed the yarn before and after a border repeat and knew I wouldn’t have enough…. so I went down a needle size 3/4 of the way through the border. I finished with a little over a gram left.
This border was incredibly tedious to knit. I mean, I guess they all kind of are, but I know Lunna Voe in the opposite direction – got the tedious bit out of the way first – and now I’m reminded how much applied borders at the end are the suck, because I just wanted to be finished with this.
I probably could have blocked this out larger, but I already had four mats out and I really didn’t want to try to add more and keep it more or less circular.
Lights Out is a black jelly base packed with green/red shifting shimmer (that I’m not calling what everyone else calls it 😛 ). This was four coats to be mostly opaque, and since I included a bottle shot you know the green shimmer is not very capturable on camera (though you can definitely see it at some angles in real life). Also I used the super fast drying topcoat and had some major shrink at the cuticles, but I was also on day four when I took photos, so it’s worse than it should be – ditto the tip wear/shrink.